A former important mining town in the south of Spiš region. In 1327, Smolník became a free royal mining town. In the 14th century, Smolník became the seat of the Chamber of Mines. The mining plant belonged among the most profitable in Hungary. A royal mint also operated in the city. In the 18th century, a mining school also operated here, the mining court, the inspectorate was located here, and the town was an important administrative center of Spiš region mining. From the 19th century, mining activity began to decline. In 1872, a factory for the production of cigars was built in Smolník. The iron ore mines in Smolník operated until 1989. In the years 1990-1992, the mining facilities were liquidated, the company reoriented itself to engineering industry and woodworking activities.