Banská Štiavnica is not only silver, but also a town of students. The greatest pride of Banská Štiavnica is Mining and Forestry Academy, which educated mining and forestry experts until April 24, 1919, when it was moved to the Hungarian town - Sopron. The establishment of the academy in Banská Štiavnica had an impact on the economic, political and cultural development of town and the entire Banská Štiavnica region, as the school educated approximately 10,000 academy-educated technicians in mining, metallurgy and forestry. The Mining Academy was established based on the proposal of the Court Chamber. In a subsequent decision of December 13, 1762, Empress Mary Therese respected him and ordered the school to be founded in the most suitable place - in Banská Štiavnica. In 1846, the Mining Academy was renamed the Mining and Forestry Academy. After the increase in the number of students, the issue of lack of classroom space came to the fore. Therefore, between 1890 and 1912, were built three magnificent buildings for the forestry department, mining and metallurgy department and chemical laboratories in the area of the Upper Botanical Garden. Building of the forestry department - the ceremonial opening of the building took place in 1892. Today, in building resides High Vocational School of Forestry. The building of the mining department was completed in 1899. Departments of the mining and metallurgical department were moved there. Department of Chemistry for the mining and metallurgical department were partially moved and temporarily placed on the first floor. The premises of two new buildings were not enough for the students of the two departments of chemistry, moreover, the exhaled gases and vapors from the laboratories harmed the professors, workers and students of the other departments, so it was decided to build a separate pavilion with the departments of chemistry. In 1912, construction of a building with the most modern equipment and facilities was completed. It received the designation of the Institute of Chemistry. Before the construction of these three buildings, other buildings in town were also used for the needs of the academy, e. g. Belházy´s house, Berggericht, Fritz's house, Krečmáry's house.